Tuesday 3 July 2012

Absolut New Designers!

So.......

Just spent a very hectic but exciting week in London exhibiting at New Designers in the Business Design Centre in Islington. It was great to get such positive reactions to my work.

As I mentioned in my last blog I'd been selected as a finalist for the Absolut Blank competition. It was a little nerve racking trying to create my design on a 6ft blank white sheet of paper in front on the visitors to show! But I really enjoyed it and loved the interactiveness of working in a public space.

Here is the final result:

















I took some close up shots to show the different sections in more detail. Unfortunately the paper provided wasn't as thick as I'm used to working with so the ink didn't absorb into the surface quite like it did in my entries. I worked around this by trying to create a more splashed, drippy effect. 

My fellow contestant Harriet won the exhibition, her Absolut Blank was created by sewing what see saw, drawing with a sewing machine in other words, a really interesting technique that she has developed into an art form. I admire her patience! She never unpicks a stitch, so she has to have in her head what she is going to draw so she can plan the path of the needle. 

Obviously I'm sorry not to have won but I am glad that she did! I'm happy to have taken part in such a prestigious competition. 

On to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment