Tuesday 19 June 2012

Inspiration

So.......

One of the most common questions people ask me and I'm sure any other artists/designers out there will agree is where do you get your inspiration from.

Of course this can be a very complicated question. And for me the simple answer is: everything, everyone, everywhere!

But I thought I'd give a more specific answer in this blog.

As you may have noticed, my work is about colour. And not just any colour, not shy pastels and retiring greys (although they do have their uses...) but full on, in your face, unapologetic colour.

One of the ways I get inspired to work with colour is through putting on my 'colour vision' goggles and trying to focus on the colours around me. The past year I have been inspired by the colour palettes of films.

It might seem a bit vague to say I get colour from films. But from the right films, where every frame is considered in detail to set an atmosphere that fits with the films' vision, becomes easy to translate to a design.

For example, here are some images from films by one of my all time favourite directors (this man is a genius) Wes Anderson:





These are from The Darjeeling Limited. Funny, weird and always poignantly sad, his films are a visual treat.

Here's some images from his films The Life Aquatic, The Royal Tenenbaums. and his most recent film,  Moonrise Kingdom, which I looked forward to seeing. From the trailers, it promises to be his weirdest yet.










Each frame is gloriously filed with considered colour. He has managed to make an iconic image out of the blue jacket and red hats from The Life Aquatic, for example.

Another film, or in fact films, which is not quite as serious but definitely worth a mention in terms of colour inspiration is...you guessed it, Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2.

As they are both animated cartoons, the colour is un-inhibited by the real world completely. (As well as being a really awesome film about a really awesome panda!).










Some of the images are screen shots so not great quality I'm afraid but I think the colours still come through. What a great start to a project!

I guess I'm trying to say that inspiration can come from anywhere, and the more unusual or obscure the better. So look for it in unexpected places!

No comments:

Post a Comment