Tuesday 19 June 2012

Chair-iness

So.......

I thought I'd share with you my chair journey, or chairney?! Because it's been quite a big part of my shows both in Somerset and London.

I was looking for something to upholster with my bright ink fabric, and I wanted it to be a bit different than your average armchair. So armed with a minimal budget I scoured the shops of Taunton and they didn't disappoint.

I managed to find this old bar stool in a second hand shop. By the markings underneath the seat I believe it might have come for the military base not far outside of Taunton. It must have seen some action!

Here is the original chair:

I think you'll agree, not all that exciting, but I had big plans for it.

Although it is a bar stool, it could be used as a kitchen stool, etc.

Unfortunately it decided to rain solidly for the next week so I was forced to paint it in the shed. I chose a French Grey to set off the colours in the fabric. I wanted it to be quite dark so quite a few coats were required.


After painting it I took it to a very nice local man who upholstered it for me. His name is Dave and he was very helpful and made sure that I was getting exactly what I wanted. Here is the final result:


I'm really pleased with the end result. The chair has been transformed! I really like how the fabric works on the back. I think the grey works well with the colours of the fabric.

Now I've got the buzz I feel like I want to upholster more things with my fabric. It's really satisfying seeing a design come to life and be used for its original purpose.

The chair is for sale for £260. it is one off, bespoke, one of it's kind. Contemporary, bright, exciting. Any interest please email me at: polly_taylor@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment