Monday 29 April 2013

Golden rules of working from home

So, I thought I'd write a bit about some rules to act as a mini guide about working from home, as the vast majority of start-up designer/makers such as myself do. I want this blog to be not only a promotional tool for myself but also to share my journey into the scary and endless realm of setting up as a designer.


  1. Get dressed! Sounds obvious, but dressing for work as you normally would (if you were going to step outside of the house) is an important part of working from home. For me, what I wear dictates a lot about how a feel during that day. You don't have to go all out with a trouser suit, but at least try to get out of pjs!
  2. Take breaks! Don't be afraid to allow yourself decent lunch and snack breaks. It's very easy to skip lunch where you're knee-deep in a project, especially when there's no one else around to remind you it's time for tea, but it is important to step back from what you've already achieved that day and allow yourself a bit of head space.
  3. Always allow time for drawing just for its own sake. As a creative person it is vital to spend some time cultivating ideas - even if they all end up in the bin and never go into production. 
  4. Set out goals - outline what you want to achieve well in advance. I've started to create a weekly diary of everything I want to do that week, and what day I'm going to do it. Plan time for drawing, trips out to galleries and exhibitions as well. Mix it up so admin tasks, making tasks, and trips out are separated out, that way you won't get bored doing one thing all day!
  5. Don't get distracted - the internet is a great big wonderful resource for research etc, but try not to get too distracted by (non-work related) Facebook, Youtube and everything else! Make a list of what you want to look up online and stick to it!

Are you another designer/maker trying to set up their business? Get in touch to share you're own experiences!



No comments:

Post a Comment